The Pandemic Puppy podcast was initially launched during the COVID-19 pandemic as many new puppy owners were bringing home puppies — and with no option for accessing professional training help and guidance in-person!
While the podcast series has ended, the lessons and information covered here continue to be extremely relevant and helpful — whether we’re in a pandemic or not!
This 40-episode podcast covers puppy raising right from the start. This podcast covers professional dog trainer Kayla Fratt’s first time raising a puppy — so she’ll be right alongside you digging through the good, the bad, the cute, and the shark teeth.
You’ll find a web player and links to where to find this podcast via various podcast apps below.
The admin team of the Pandemic Puppy Facebook Group and Journey Dog Training is bringing you a puppy raising podcast. From selecting a puppy to tackling common behavior problems, we’re here to help. Your host is Kayla Fratt, owner of Journey Dog Training and Certified Behavior Consultant. She’s raising her FIRST puppy while hosting the podcast.
In this episode of Pandemic Puppy, Kayla speaks with Amber Quann about raising toy breed puppies.
What are the differences between raising a toy breed puppy vs a larger size?
- Easier on the wallet
- Need to be creative on training and reinforcement strategies as they can’t eat as much
- Curate safe interactions that prevent potential injuries such as other dogs running them over by accident, getting on and off furniture, etc.
- Ensure you don’t bubble wrap your dog
- Prepare emergency scenarios, such as picking up your puppy when needed to protect them from getting run over
- Put picking up your dog on cue
How do we help little dogs become leash reactive?
- It is easy to manage a small dogs behavior through leash tension because of their size, and its important to work against that
- Little dogs need to learn how to move out of situations on their own
- Be intentional to treat them like a big dog. “Would I do this with my german shepherd?”
- Teaching them confidence is key
- As always, set them up for success, don’t push them over their threshold
- Their needs will change with age
Links Mentioned in the Episode:
You can support the Pandemic Puppy Podcast by joining our Patreon at patreon.com/pandemicpuppy.