Summer usually means breaking out the hiking boots and hitting the trail with your dog.
While this is a great way to get outside, stay fit, and have an adventure, there can be a downside to so many miles logged.
Irritated, cracked skin is a real concern for both you and your pup.
Walking over sharp gravel, boulder hopping, and hot sandy trails can lead to paw issues that may end up preventing your dog from hiking with you.
A great way to keep your dog’s paws conditioned, supple, and healthy is to apply a paw salve.
This salve is infused with hydrating Shea butter, healing vitamin E and protective beeswax to keep your dog on the trail with happy paws.
- 2 Tbsp. Shea Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Beeswax
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Vitamin E oil (optional)
- 1 Glass jar or tin
- In a heatproof bowl, that you don’t mind getting a little dirty, combine the Shea butter, coconut oil, beeswax, olive oil, and vitamin E oil. Your coconut oil will either be solid or liquid, depending on the temperature of your kitchen. Either is fine.
- Pop in a microwave for 30 seconds.
- Repeat at 30 second intervals until everything is melted and combined. It usually only takes me a minute in my microwave, but times may vary depending on the power of your microwave. The beeswax will take the longest to melt. If it is almost, there just continuously stir for thirty seconds and it should melt without needing more microwave time.
- Pour the liquid into your jar or tin and allow to cool and room temperature.
- When these ingredients combine they usually form a relatively firm solid that will melt just with the heat of your hands. If you live in a very hot place, though, you may want to store somewhere cool like a cellar or fridge to keep it solid.
- Apply a small amount to each of your dog’s paw, as needed, and work it into the skin. These ingredients are safe for your dog, but working it in will help avoid licking too much off. You can also add a few drops of essential oil like lavender to discourage your dog from licking.