Join Marissa, Kayla and Ursa discuss the process of choosing a dog, introduce topics to consider and learn how they chose their loved ones!
Things to Consider:
- Take your time and don’t rush!
- Do you have the opportunity to foster from a shelter or rescue in order to try this on?
- Be aware of your internal process. Ask yourself and your family questions:
- What is our current lifestyle?
- How would we like to spend time with this new dog?
- What qualities are a must have?
- What qualities are deal breakers?
- What qualities are negotiable?
- Does breed matter?
Links and References
- Kayla’s dog selection spreadsheet
- The TED Talk that inspired Kayla to make the spreadsheet
- Jackie Johnston for separation anxiety
- Kayla’s 30 Things to Teach a Dog in 30 Days Course
- The book “Behave”
Kayla is from Ashland, Wisconsin but lives in Missoula Montana. She holds a degree in biology from Colorado College and has spent years working in zoos, animal shelters, as a private dog trainer, and with working detection K9s. She is a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant. She shares her life with her border collie Barley.