We take a brief break from our two-part behavioral euthanasia episodes to talk about ethology with Kim Brophey.
Kayla and Kim discuss:
- What is ethology?
- How can ethology interface with other approaches, like applied behavior analysis, for training?
- How does ethology play into differences between breeds and breed groups?
- Why would this matter for training and behavior?
- LEGS – learning, environment, genetics, and self – as a framework for understanding behavior.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Aggression in Dogs conference
- The Hidden Brain podcast episode on rage
- Kim’s book, “Meet Your Dog.”
- Kim’s business, DogDoorBehaviorCenter.com
- The book “Raising the Peaceable Kingdom.”
Kayla is from Ashland, Wisconsin but lives in Missoula Montana. She holds a degree in biology from Colorado College and has spent years working in zoos, animal shelters, as a private dog trainer, and with working detection K9s. She is a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant. She shares her life with her border collie Barley.