This post contains affiliate links. Sites like Amazon and Chewy give us a small amount of $ if you purchase something using a link from us (at no extra cost to you).
We also run advertisements on the site. Please understand that the ads are randomly generated and we do not control which ads you see when.
Many dog owners live in fear of their dog getting too close to their face because of a common problem: bad breath.
Lots of dogs suffer from bad breath and it can be a smelly issue for pet parents. Enjoy your dog’s kisses without cringing and holding your breath with these bad breath busting coconut truffles.
Coconut has antimicrobial properties that help fend off bacteria that cause bad breath in your dog. They make a delicious and healthy alternative to other messy, and often bad breath contributing, treats.
- 1 cup coconut flour plus extra for rolling (Bob’s Red Mill is a great choice)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup cooked oatmeal (I prefer steel cut as they are more nutritious, but any type of unsweetened oatmeal will work)
- 1-3 tbsp water
- Combine coconut flour, oil, oatmeal, and 1 tbsp water in a bowl. Mix until a ball starts to come together. Continue adding water until the dough sticks together.
- To test if the dough is ready, pick up a small ball and squeeze together. If it stays in a ball shape, you are ready to start shaping. If it crumbles continue adding water 1 tbsp at a time until it sticks together. If you were a bit overzealous with the water and the dough is very wet and sticks to your hands, just add more coconut flour in 1 tbsp increments until you reach the desired consistency.
- Grab a marble-sized chunk of dough and roll into a ball. To save on time I don’t worry about forming a perfect ball and instead just squeeze the dough into a semi-round shape. The goal is just to make sure the dough is sticking together.
- Gently roll the balls in coconut flour. Treats should be stored in the fridge for two weeks. Extra treats can be kept up to two months in the freezer.
Tip- Brushing your dog’s teeth is also an important part of preventing bad breath and health issues like gingivitis, gum disease, tooth loss, and pain.
You can buy an enzyme-based toothpaste online and use this finger toothbrush plus toothbrush toy to really clean your pup’s mouth!
I’m a good ol’ Midwestern transplant that moved to Colorado for mountains and adventure. I love rock climbing, writing, and eating cookies. When I’m not on the side of a cliff you can find me walking my dog, Peanut, playing piano, and blogging about my climbing adventures on The Gobi Gazette.