In this episode of Pandemic Puppy, Kayla discusses chewing and everything you need to know about managing it!
- Chewing is essential for behavior wellness, but thankfully the chewing habits will change over time. There are some great ways to manage chewing to make it a little more easier to deal with
How to manage chewing:
- Make sure you are meeting your puppy’s needs!
- Puppy proof! Don’t give your puppy a chance to chew things that would hurt them
- Give LOTS of options: antlers, bully sticks, kongs, pig’s ears, bouillon ice cubes, mimic whatever they keep chewing without permission
- Supervise always. Don’t wind down supervision until the puppy is trustworthy at their current level
- Could the chewing be boredom/attention-seeking? Are you reacting to your puppy chewing on bad things and ignoring them when they’re being good?
What do you do when you catch them chewing?
- Make sure their needs are being met before any intervention
- Gently interrupt your puppy and redirect them to something else
- Be careful not to create an accidental behavior chain
What to look out for?
- Sometimes, excessive chewing is actually a sign of an upset stomach, GI issues, diet imbalance, or serious underlying stress.
You can support the Pandemic Puppy Podcast by joining our Patreon at patreon.com/pandemicpuppy.
Kayla is from Ashland, Wisconsin but lives in Missoula Montana. She holds a degree in biology from Colorado College and has spent years working in zoos, animal shelters, as a private dog trainer, and with working detection K9s. She is a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant. She shares her life with her border collie Barley.