It still amazes me that some dogs can be so picky while others eat anything that fits in their mouths.
My dog is very particular about treats and food. While we have found a brand that he likes, sometimes a little extra encouragement goes a long way in making sure he eats enough to be strong and healthy.
This quick recipe adds a flavor and protein boost that your dog won’t be able to resist.
- 1 C. Organic chickpeas, cooked and rinsed
- 1 Maple chicken sausage link. You can also use plain cooked chicken or any other sausage that doesn’t contain onion or garlic. About 1 oz. will be the equivalent to one breakfast sausage link.
- 1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick oil.
- In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients and pulse until blended. The mixture will be moist and should stick together when pressed, but crumble if you rub it.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the pan and press it evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the top begins to look crackly and dry.
- Allow to cool for five minutes and then use a fork to break up the mixture into fine pieces, so it resembles small bread crumbs.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan and then transfer to an airtight dish and store in the fridge for up to a week.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon into your dog’s food and mix until incorporated.
- Store in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to two months.
I’m a good ol’ Midwestern transplant that moved to Colorado for mountains and adventure. I love rock climbing, writing, and eating cookies. When I’m not on the side of a cliff you can find me walking my dog, Peanut, playing piano, and blogging about my climbing adventures on The Gobi Gazette.