Training treats are a great tool to always have on hand. Their convenient size, durability, and ability to capture a dog’s attention make them great for continued learning throughout a dog’s life.
Here is a fun recipe to change it up for your dog while giving them a boost of fiber and protein.
- ½ C. Pumpkin Puree
- ½ C. Cooked black beans, no salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp. xylitol-free peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp. Oil (olive and coconut are great choices)
- 1 C. Whole wheat flour (or regular all-purpose unbleached)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare and ungreased cookie sheet.
- In a food processor or blender, combine pumpkin puree, black beans, egg, peanut butter, and oil. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and gradually add in flour. The dough should begin to come away from the bowl and for a ball.
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll into strands and place onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the strands are firm on the outside, beginning to brown, and can roll around.
- While still warm, slice into small bite sized pieces.
- Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to two months.