Whether your dog is older and starting to have joint trouble or young and you just want to set them up for success, adding a joint supplement to your dog’s daily routine can be really beneficial.
While there are great joint supplements on the market, they can be costly or full of ingredients you don’t want to give your dog. These treats are a tasty alternative that pack a natural punch of antioxidants, omegas, and other joint supporting ingredients. Plus it is quick to make and there is no baking!
Ingredients for Homemade Joint Supplements for Dogs:
- 1/4 C. Rolled oats
- 1/4 C. Roasted peanuts
- 1 Tbsp. Chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. Flax seeds (I use this Flax and Fruit blend because it contains really beneficial fruits for your dog)
- 1 Tbsp. Unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut oil
- In a blender or food processor combine the oats, peanuts, chia seeds and flax seeds until a smooth, relatively fine texture is achieved.
- Transfer oat mixture to a bowl and add in applesauce and coconut oil.
- Mix until dough comes together and holds its shape when pressed into a ball. This step can take a minute or more so be patient. The oil from the coconut and peanuts can take a bit of time to absorb. If you are still having issues add a teaspoon of applesauce until you reach the desired consistency.
- Use a 1/4 or 1/2 tsp. measuring spoon and press mixture into spoon until full. Wipe excess back into bowl and gently tap until treat releases.
- Chill treats in the fridge for three hours.
- Can be stored in the fridge for 1-2 weeks, at room temperature for 3-5 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
These are a great all natural way to add a boost of healthy joint supporting ingredients to your dog’s diet. You can also add 2-3 ground tablets of a conventional joint supplement, like Cosequin, to add a more powerful joint supporting punch.