In this episode of Pandemic Puppy, Kayla discusses what to do if you lose your dog and the best ways to try and prevent it from happening.
What are the best ways to prevent losing your puppy?
- Have your puppy microchipped
- Have a collar with an ID tag when out or if they are a flight risk
- Ensure your puppy is contained securely
- Situational awareness is important!
- Have your puppy on leash when needed
- GPS collars are great!
- Have your dog in high visibility items in the event they get lost
What to do if you lose your puppy?
- Time is of the essence
- In most cases, they will show up in 5-10 minutes
- In these cases, gently pick up your puppy, bring them inside, and evaluate what went wrong
- Contact shelters/animal control
- Contact veterinarian clinics
- Post on websites like Craigslist and on social media
- Make sure your posts/information given to shelters/vets includes your puppy’s personality, name, markings, if you should approach or if you should call if seen, etc.
- Try to think of where your puppy might go or what might attract them in order to try and find them
- Get involved with your community
Links Mentioned in the Episode
You can support the Pandemic Puppy Podcast by joining our Patreon at patreon.com/pandemicpuppy.
Kayla is from Ashland, Wisconsin but lives in Missoula Montana. She holds a degree in biology from Colorado College and has spent years working in zoos, animal shelters, as a private dog trainer, and with working detection K9s. She is a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant. She shares her life with her border collie Barley.