When you are tight on time, it can be hard to make the gourmet treats your dog expects. This one ingredient treat is the easiest thing you will ever make and your dog won’t know the difference! They are perfect for training due to their small size and durable nature.
I like to use organic garbanzo beansthat only contain salt and water. This way you know you aren’t getting any yucky preservatives.
- 1 C. Organic Garbanzo Beans, cooked
- Olive oil (optional)
- Set oven to 350 F.
- Thoroughly rinse and dry your garbanzo beans. The drier the bean the crispier and quicker they will cook.
Bonus Step: If you have enough time, I find that peeling the outer skins off of each bean makes for a crispier treat. These tend to last longer too, as they don’t become as soggy as the beans that have their skins still on. Just rub at the bean until the opaque coating peels off.
- Transfer beans to a metal pan, preferably one with a rim as these beans tend to slide around! If you want, coat with a very light drizzle of olive oil at toss to evenly distribute over the beans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the beans turn a golden brown and are sizzling. They should sound like little marbles rolling around in the pan and the outsides will be crisp.
- Allow the beans to cool completely and store at room temperature for 3-5 days. I put mine in a breathable mesh bag like this one.
I’m a good ol’ Midwestern transplant that moved to Colorado for mountains and adventure. I love rock climbing, writing, and eating cookies. When I’m not on the side of a cliff you can find me walking my dog, Peanut, playing piano, and blogging about my climbing adventures on The Gobi Gazette.