This post contains affiliate links. Sites like Amazon and Chewy give us a small amount of $ if you purchase something using a link from us (at no extra cost to you).
We also run advertisements on the site. Please understand that the ads are randomly generated and we do not control which ads you see when.
We’re covering picking a shelter and shelter puppy in upcoming episodes, so hang tight if that’s your preference!
Discussed in this Episode:
- Decide what you need, want, can be flexible on, versus don’t care much (Kayla’s list is linked at the bottom of the show notes)
- The myth that just being a family dog is an easy job for a puppy
- Different dogs within a litter will differ – not all labs are created equal!
- It’s not all in how you raise em – choose wisely!
- Breeder might pair you with puppy, that’s normal
- Let the breeder weigh in on personalities
- Provide LOTS of info on goals, lifestyle, needs to help breeder along
- This is why it can be important to find a breeder who understands and is familiar with the job you might be asking your puppy to do!
- Don’t just go with color, but some amount of color preference is ok IF you’re willing to wait; color can also link to health
- Criteria to consider including your fifestyle factors, job schedules, puppy goals, etc.
- For MOST people, go with an average-ish puppy within the litter if the parents are what you like
- Temperament tests aren’t THAT predictive. Remember, these are moments in time – the breeder has seen much more of their personalities than you can see in these moments.
- If you have very specific needs for a puppy, be accepting that the right puppy might not be in this litter.
This podcast is supported by Journey Dog Training and our Puppy Raising Blueprint course. The full course covers topics ranging from common problem behaviors and socialization to the humane hierarchy of dog training. It’s all taught by yours truly, Kayla Fratt. If you need more personalized training support, check out journeydogtraining.com – we have a variety of courses, e-books, and remote training services available. Just check out your options in the menu above.
This podcast is also supported by our members on Patreon. For as little as $3 per month, you can support this podcast and get perks like submitting questions for us to tackle at the end of each episode. Sign up over at patreon.com/pandemicpuppy.
Over the next few episodes, we’ll cover how to pick a puppy from a breeder, selecting a shelter and shelter puppy, and how to prepare for your new puppy!
For Further Reading:
- How to Find a Good Dog Breeder (written by Kayla)
- Dog Adoption Guide (written by Kayla)
- Kayla’s dog selection spreadsheet (view only)
- Functional Dog Collaborative
- Pandemic Puppy Raising Support Group on Facebook
Kayla grew up in northern Wisconsin and studied ecology and animal behavior at Colorado College. She founded Journey Dog Training in 2013 to provide high-quality and affordable dog behavior advice. She’s an avid adventurer and has driven much of the Pan-American Highway with her border collie Barley. She now travels the US in a 2006 Sprinter with her two border collies, Barley and Niffler. Aside from running Journey Dog Training, Kayla also runs the nonprofit K9 Conservationists, where she and the dogs work as conservation detection dog teams.