This post contains affiliate links. Sites like Amazon and Chewy give us a small amount of $ if you purchase something using a link from us (at no extra cost to you).
We also run advertisements on the site. Please understand that the ads are randomly generated and we do not control which ads you see when.
Kayla speaks to Ursa Acree of Canis Major Dog Training in Denver Colorado about preparing to bring your new puppy home.
Discussed in this Episode:
- Shopping list (All links go to Chewy.com or Amazon, we get a small payment if you purchase at those links – this funds the podcast and comes at no cost to you).
- Bowls or feeders
- X pen or crate or both (Kayla uses this pen and this crate)
- Washable blankets/towels (get these at a thrift store)
- White noise machine (Kayla uses her Google home mini)
- Lightweight leash and harness (Niffler wears a Django harness)
- Toys – chewing, enrichment, and otherwise (see below for some options)
- Garage pad floor mats
- Litter box / puppy pads – if desired
- Noise making games – check out your local thrift store!
- Puppy pen
- What it needs in it
- Schedule clearing, delegation of tasks for family
- Housetraining plan
- How often?
- Who is responsible?
- Help from dog walker or other person?
- Microchip/Vet/groomer fun visits – scheduling vaccinations/puppy kindergarten
- Training – choose a trainer
- Socialization checklist – but don’t overdo it the first week
- Plan to intro existing pets (here’s Kayla’s article on introducing Niffler to Barley)
This podcast is supported by Journey Dog Training and our Puppy Raising Blueprint course. The full course covers topics ranging from common problem behaviors and socialization to the humane hierarchy of dog training. It’s all taught by yours truly, Kayla Fratt. If you need more personalized training support, check out journeydogtraining.com – we have a variety of courses, e-books, and remote training services available. Just check out your options in the menu above.
This podcast is also supported by our members on Patreon. For as little as $3 per month, you can support this podcast and get perks like submitting questions for us to tackle at the end of each episode. Sign up over at patreon.com/pandemicpuppy.
For Further Reading:
- Guide to Dog Adoption Part 1: What Are You Looking For In a Dog?
- The “Before You Get Your Puppy” free e-book from Ian Dunbar
- Puppy Proofing YouTube Video
- Pawsitive Futures Puppy Prep Video
- Pandemic Puppy Raising Support Group on Facebook
- Sophia Yin’s Socialization Checklist
- Introducing a Puppy to an Adult Dog Who Doesn’t Love Puppies
- Housetraining primer guide
Kayla grew up in northern Wisconsin and studied ecology and animal behavior at Colorado College. She founded Journey Dog Training in 2013 to provide high-quality and affordable dog behavior advice. She’s an avid adventurer and has driven much of the Pan-American Highway with her border collie Barley. She now travels the US in a 2006 Sprinter with her two border collies, Barley and Niffler. Aside from running Journey Dog Training, Kayla also runs the nonprofit K9 Conservationists, where she and the dogs work as conservation detection dog teams.