In this episode of Pandemic Puppy, Kayla discusses stranger danger in puppies. She covers what it is, why it happens, and what to do about it. Her puppy Niffler has been barking and even growling at strangers lately, so this is high priority for Kayla!
- Fearful behavior and a fear period are not the same.
- Fear Period: abrupt and transient fear of something your puppy has already been exposed to. These periods can be ignored for the most part. You can comfort your puppy, then move on, and don’t make a big deal about it.
- Continuous fearful behavior, such as stranger danger, needs to be addressed right away.
- Stranger danger is a natural behavior for dogs, especially for certain breeds. It is normal, but it needs to be addressed.
- Don’t correct the puppy or apply any negative reinforcement. It can make the stranger danger worse.
Don’t flood your puppy
- Let the strangers know what’s going on, in a happy friendly voice
Don’t make a big deal out of people
Advocate for your puppy, be a safe place/person for them
- Look at That/Engage Disengage Game
- If your puppy is too far past their threshold, go back a few steps
Links Mentioned in the Episode
You can support the Pandemic Puppy Podcast by joining our Patreon at patreon.com/pandemicpuppy.
Get extra help with your puppy through Journey Dog Training’s Puppy Raising Blueprint Course.
Join the free Pandemic Puppy Raising Support Group on Facebook.