Have you ever sat down in the morning with a steaming cup of coffee and a scrumptious doughnut and, just as you are about to take a bite, you see your dog’s eyes of betrayal through the little doughnut hole? They sit longingly, wondering why they never deserve to have such a scrumptious treat.
These naturally sweetened doughnut bites are the perfect solution. They’re smaller and healthier than a normal doughnut, but just as satisfying for your pup. Now you can both enjoy a delicious snack any day of the week.
- 1 C. Whole wheat or all-purpose flour (You can use a
gluten freealternative or oat flour if preferred.)
- ½ C. Cooked sweet potato, mashed
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. Canola or coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. Honey or molasses
- ¼ C. Milk or milk alternative (I like this flax milk)
- 1 Tbsp. Dried non-fat milk(optional)
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ C. Peanut Butter, smooth
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut oil. (You can also use bacon fat for a meatier flavor.)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking tray with a silicone baking mat or parchment.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and dried milk in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sweet potato, egg, oil, honey/molasses, and milk in a separate container and whisk until smooth. To get potatoes evenly mashed I removed the skins and press with a fork. This works well on a cutting board. You could also blend this together if you want to remove all lumps.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a spoon, place balls of dough on the baking sheet. These should be roughly the size of a small bouncy ball.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are firm and dry and the bottoms have taken on a light brown color.
- Combine peanut butter and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 20 seconds or until coconut oil is melted. Stir and allow to cool for about five minutes.
- Once the glaze is cool and beginning to thick slightly, use a spoon to drizzle over the doughnut bites.
These can be stored in the fridge for up to a week, but I am sure they won’t last that long, anyways! You will probably both have a hard time resisting these delectable bites.