In this episode of Pandemic Puppy, Kayla discusses teaching your puppy to relax.
How can you get your puppy to relax?
- First things first, you need to meet your puppy’s needs!
- Make sure they are getting enough rest
- Pay for what you like! If they lay down at your feet, reward them for it with a chew, which will help build duration.
- Be cautious of rewarding too heavily because they may start offering other behavior for rewards
- Set up the environment for success.
- Utilize the puppy pen when you can!
- Don’t have too high of expectations at the start. They are still puppies!
- Layer in distractions and take your time
- Take your skills on the road!
- Adjust your expectations as they age and expect the unexpected
- Again, meet your puppy’s needs! These needs will change as they age
- Utilize Karen Overall’s Relaxation Protocol
Links Mentioned in the Episode:
You can support the Pandemic Puppy Podcast by joining our Patreon at patreon.com/pandemicpuppy.