In today’s episode, Kayla sits down with Erin Jones to talk about separation anxiety. Erin wrote an e-book and created a course for Journey Dog Training all about separation anxiety. She’s got a lot of firsthand knowledge, both with clients and personal dogs, on the topic.
They cover questions like:
- Erin’s separation anxiety experience
- What separation anxiety actually is – what does it look like? What are some of the different types of isolation distress?
- What Erin likes about separation anxiety cases and what’s hard about them.
- When someone approaches you asking for help with separation anxiety, how do you start helping them? What are your starting points?
- What does a “normal” separation anxiety case progression look like?
- What do you think is most important for owners to understand about separation anxiety?
- Is separation my fault?
- Can we prevent separation anxiety?
- What does the science say about separation anxiety? What do we KNOW?
- Should owners get a second dog to try to help?
Links mentioned in this episode:
Kayla is from Ashland, Wisconsin but lives in Missoula Montana. She holds a degree in biology from Colorado College and has spent years working in zoos, animal shelters, as a private dog trainer, and with working detection K9s. She is a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant. She shares her life with her border collie Barley.