In this episode of Pandemic Puppy, Kayla discusses leash skills for you and your puppy
- It’s not entirely necessary for your dog to walk perfectly on leash
- Pulling will always be self-reinforcing, so it can take a lot of patience and persistence to teach loose leash walking
- Your equipment won’t teach your dog what to do, you will teach your dog what to do
- You can teach your dogs to pull on certain equipment and not to pull on other equipment if it is of benefit to you
- To start, you can reward your dog for position and check-ins
- It can get worse before it gets better
- You can start in the house then start building distractions and distance
- Record keeping your sessions will help you!
- If your puppy starts pulling you can stop moving or go in a different direction
- Start slow and take your time, don’t expect too much too soon
Links Mentioned in the Episode:
You can support the Pandemic Puppy Podcast by joining our Patreon at patreon.com/pandemicpuppy.
Get extra help with your puppy through Journey Dog Training’s Puppy Raising Blueprint Course.
Join the free Pandemic Puppy Raising Support Group on Facebook.